This post originally appeared in my column at elephantjournal.com.
Ho Ho Ho. Boo Hoo Hoo.
In the U.S., an additional 5 million tons of waste is generated during the holiday season (from Thanksgiving to New Years Day). 4 million tons of this is wrapping paper and shopping bags. Need I say more? Well I will.
* Food waste increases 25% — 28 billion pounds of edible food wasted (100 pounds per person)!
* 2.65 billion Christmas cards sold each year in the U.S. could fill a football field 10 stories high!
* if every family reused just two feet of holiday ribbon, the 38,000 miles of ribbon saved could tie a bow around the entire planet.
* Each year, 50 million Christmas trees are purchased. Of those, 30 million go to the landfills.
* And what about all that packaging gifts come in before you even wrap them up? Plastic, cardboard… oh, and those crazy wire things that hold toys and all the tiny toy parts to the packaging… Ooph.
Photo: http://www.freedigitalphotos.net | m_bartosch
Read the rest of this article at elephantjournal.com…