Access to clean water is something we tend to take for granted. Did you know…
- Less than 1% of the world’s fresh water is readily accessible for direct human use
- 884 MILLION people lack access to safe water supplies–roughly one in eight people.
- 3.575 MILLION people die each year from water-related disease
- 84% of water-related deaths are children ages 0-14.
- A child dies every 15 seconds from water born diseases.
- An American taking a five-minute shower uses more than the typical person living in a developing country slum uses in an entire day.
- About a third of people without access to an improved water source live on less than $1 a day. More than two-thirds live on less than $2 a day.
- Without water, a person can expect to live a few days.
- The average American uses 170 gallons of water per day.
Fortunately, there are organizations dedicated to raising awareness and funds for the growing, yet solvable, global water crisis. Thirst Aid Live–a series of concerts, television programs and large-scale national and international events–was designed to do just that. The organization exists to live responsibly locally, raise awareness nationally, and give back globally. Celebrity musicians, actors, athletes and citizens have banded together with Thirst Aid Live’s nonprofit partners to quench world thirst.
I had the opportunity to speak to Denise Russo, an energetic and very inspiring woman who believes, “If you want something in your world to change, then you must be an agent of that change. Motivated by the collective efforts of people making those changes, she’s now leading projects for Haiti that go beyond just water. “I am simply a vessel using my God-given talents for making a difference for our Earth and global neighbors.”
How you can help:
- Empower yourself with the mind frame to save water on a daily basis. The Thirst Aid Live Toolkit is a perfect resource for ideas to reduce your water footprint.
- Donate to Thirst Aid Live (operated by Vessel H2O) — remember, just $5 gives one person clean water for life!
- Do some eco-friendly shopping at myEARTH360.com –for every $50 spent, we’ll give Thirst Aid Live funds to provide one person water for life. Just enter THIRSTAID at checkout.
- Purchase a Thirst Aid Live t-shirt or water bottle–a portion of proceeds will benefit water crisis organizations.
- Follow Thirst Aid Live on twitter and become a facebook fan.